Monday, September 24, 2007

Cars and more Cars

SIMPLE Maths:
1 apple - 1 apple = no apples
1 apple + 2 apple - 2 apple = 1 apple
1 apple - 2 apple = -1 apple (theoretically)

There once was a time when COE was supposed to curb car growth, saying Singapore only has xx km of roads and if not curbed, would have massive traffic jams.

There once was a time when Area Licensing Scheme (ALS) was in place and our friendly police women would be standing at the gantry with her eagle eyes looking for 4 people in a car and the ALS decal. Any car entering the restricted zones during the restricted hours with any of the above, you are liable for a good fine. The cost for the decal: $60 per month or single day entry is $2 only.

Now, with COE and ERP in place, I take a train to work from Jurong, takes about the same time as I take a cab (not withstanding the cab provides me with more time to sleep in real air con comfort) AND almost 152 times the price. Often I think the comfort I get from the cab costs me $20.56 each trip.

It would have been much cheaper if not for the $2 peak hour, ERP charges (2 gantries) and the slow moving traffic on the AYE.

I don't see less cars, less congested roads, less accidents and less temper on the roads.

No doubt since COE, I see more roads, more highways, more tunnels but I also see MORE accidents, more cars, more congestions and more tempers on the roads. I also see my pocket getting lighter from using the car, taking a cab and so on.

If I allow 100 COEs to be issued, and I only scrapped 50 cars, whats the balance I have? 150 cars on the roads! COE as was proclaimed is based on market supply and demand, what who says, cannot determine minimum price from which the bidding wars is to start? Also, if the number of cars to be scrapped are always more than the number of COEs to be issued, according to market rules, you think the prices of COE won't go up? This was never about satisfying the individual pursuit of a car, at least not when COE comes in the picture.

ERP seems redundant isn't it?

ERP to me is making people leave the house earlier (deprive sleep so potential productivity affected), come home later (this one, I really don't understand, go to work, pay ERP ok! I understand, people go home also charge ERP?).

Stretch it a little, I think ERP causes birth rates to fall too...

maybe thats the trick....higher per capita income for all Singaporeans statistically !!! The revenue from the ERP would definitely contribute a large chunk of this! No say I no say, cannot don't like ERP ok, since make us global on higher per capita income.

Think about it, say 50cents (cheap cheap) per car, highway got 4 lanes and jam packed. each second, 4 cars passes on all the 4 lanes =$2.00. Multiply this by 1 hour, you get $7,200. Say 4 hours of operation, ie. $28,800. 30 days, we get $864,000 and finally 1 year we have $10,368,000. Not forgetting, this is only 1 gantry, 4 hours of operation and the cheap cheap 50 cents per passing only.

Imagine the sums when we have so many gantries, som many hours of operation and so many tiers of charges (definitely more than 50 cents!)

No comments: